If you’re looking for a great way to add a personal touch and a bit of character to your front door, try your hand at a DIY welcome mat! Find a saying that’s perfect for you and save some money by creating it yourself. A DIY welcome mat is also a great housewarming gift for a friend or loved one and can be customized to anything you’d like. This DIY method is hands-on, so don’t worry if you don’t have a Cricut machine or printer.
Before you buy your materials, spend some time searching for phrases and designs that speak to you! Hop on Pinterest and scroll away. Once you know what you’d like your mat to say, it’s time to gather your materials.
- A plain doormat. Choose whichever kind you like! You can find these at stores like Lowes, Walmart, Target, or Hobby Lobby.
- Acrylic paint. Make sure that your color won’t blend into the color of your doormat for a crisp look! Black is always a safe bet for the font color.
- Stencils! Check out your local craft store (or head to amazon!) to find the font, words, letters, or shapes you need. Mix and match fonts for a cute and extra personalized look.
- Paint brushes. If you are using multiple colors, we recommended having multiple paint brushes on hand so you don’t mix your colors. We also recommend using a bristle paintbrush. This type of brush works best to get your paint onto the rough texture of the mat.
- Push Pins. An easy way to keep your stencil in place is to pin it down. This will eliminate the need to hold the stencil as you are painting, and will keep your design exactly where you want it.
- A ruler or tape measure. If you want to ensure you are centering or aligning your words perfectly, having a ruler on hand can be helpful.
Once you have all your necessities, it’s time to DIY! Set yourself up with a craft area and give yourself some space. To be safe, set down a blanket or sheet you can wash. Spend some time arranging your stencils to see how you want your mat to look before you start painting. Once you have your idea in mind, set your stencils in place with your pins and get your paint supplies ready.
Start off your painting by dabbing, not swiping, your paintbrush to the mat. You may have to give it a few coats to ensure that you have enough coverage and that the letters are bold. If you need your brush to be more tightly wound for a better application, take a rubber band or hair tie and wrap it around the bottom of the bristles! If needed, you can always go in along the edges with a finer paint brush to sharpen things up.
Once you feel your letters are dark enough, let your artwork dry! Once it is completely dry to the touch, take off your stencils and admire your work. To help keep your mat looking great for years to come, try out a sealant after your paint is dry. Any brand clear lacquer sealant will do.
If you’re looking for a new apartment, let our expert team at Burns Management help you find the perfect place to call home. With 23 communities located throughout the Capital Region, you’ll love where you live no matter which one you choose.