For most, the best thing about Thanksgiving is being surrounded by family and friends and of course the big sit-down dinner. When you live in an apartment, do not think you always need to go elsewhere to enjoy a great Thanksgiving with your loved ones. We know space can be cozy but with some smart and creative solutions, you can host the best Thanksgiving dinner…at least since last year!
Here are some great ways you can host the best Thanksgiving in your apartment:
- Embrace the space you have – Looking at the amount of space you have available for dining will help you decide what type of “dining style” you will want to host. Whether that be a sit-down dinner at one or more tables, or buffet style where guests can sit anywhere around your apartment, the allotted space should allow for guests to be able to sit and eat comfortably.
- Manage the guest list – Knowing the space you have available will also help you manage your guest list. Although it would be nice to be able to invite every family, friend, and neighbor, you need to be aware of available space. Invite the essentials and if space allows you can open invitations from there.
- Rearrange the furniture – When you are hosting a dinner party, in this case Thanksgiving, the two main things you need are serving/eating space and sitting/entertaining space. Rearrange the furniture that allows for a place to entertain, play games and chat. People tend to gravitate together so utilize extra seating solutions for your guests. Consider ottomans, entryway benches, stools, extra chairs and even bean bags! Having a comfortable space for your guests to sit shows your hosting skills are some of the best!
- Declutter the kitchen – A lot of hosts don’t necessarily think of this when preparing for guests. You will need all the space you can get when preparing a meal for a large group of people. Put away all your extra appliances and storage containers on the counter like your toaster, spices, and canisters. This will open up much needed space for preparing and serving dinner.
- Prepare food early – You will want to prepare as much food as you can the day/night before. As guests begin to show up you don’t want to be running around trying to be the best host/hostess you can be while trying to prepare Thanksgiving dinner. In smaller kitchens there is sometimes not a lot of room for extra hands. Although many will offer to help, sometimes the space won’t allow for all those helping hands.
- Ask guest to bring something – If you are hosting Thanksgiving, do not be afraid to ask guests to pitch in. Some ask what they can bring but don’t be afraid to ask if they don’t offer. Help with making pies, drinks or snacks will really support your efforts. You won’t need to store anything or worry about those things when you’re getting your apartment set for company.
- Set up a drink station – to keep people out of the kitchen, set up a drink station somewhere out of the way of the flow of traffic. Use beverage dispensers or a cooler to keep cold drinks cold. Also consider serving red wine instead of white. White typically is served cold where red is served at room temperature. Put it in a nice decanter to add a touch of elegance.
- Scale your décor to the size of your space – Decorating for the holiday is always a fun part of hosting. When decorating, one thing to keep in mind is the size of your decoration’s verses the size of your space. If you have limited table space, the last thing you need is an oversized centerpiece. Consider hanging your decorations. Think wreaths and garland!
- Clean as you go – Nothing is worse than a pile of dirty dishes. You can’t hide them so might as well wash them and put them away as you use them. This will help free up counter space and you will have more room for snacks and hors d’oeuvres.
- Enjoy the day – Make sure that will all the preparing and rearranging, cooking, and cleaning you stop enjoy the day with family and friends. Your small space has a real big reason to be thankful!
Hosting Thanksgiving does not need to be an intimidating venture. At Burns Management we want you to love where you live. We have over 20+ communities located in Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga Springs and surrounding areas. Set up a tour and see why a Burns Management apartment is the best place to host Thanksgiving dinner!